PLANNING YOUR OWN CULINARY TOUR
Of course, you can join or sign on to a scheduled or organized food tour and they are great. However if you want to design your own or if you have specific interests here are some tips on designing and planning your own culinary tour.
HAVE A PLAN
- First have a plan on your specific goals or interests. Consider best of like best burgers, best pizza, best hot dogs, best ice cream, etc. You get the picture.
- Go online ahead time and google local food bloggers to get their picks.
- Map out your locations so you can maximize your time.
- Another way to maximize your time is to select neighborhoods
- If you want to get around by train or bus get the routes and schedules.
CONSIDER YOUR STOMACH
- On one trip I did to New Orleans I ate everything that was put in front of me and at restaurants I ordered full meals. Believe me when I tell you, I was miserable.
- At restaurants order appetizers
- When possible order snack or tasting portions. You can tell the restaurant what you’re doing and they may have or prepare a small plate for you.
- Plan your days so when necessary you can have a splurge meal and the rest are small portions.
- It’s a good idea and it’s fun to do a bit of walking.
HAVE FUN AND BRING BACK MEMORIES
- This is a fun way to explore a destination so make it fun.
- Ask the locals for their favorites
- Take photos of your meals, the restaurants, the staff and people you meat
- Ask the restaurant if they have a menu you can take home.
- Remember to write down the names of the dishes
- Ask how things are prepared and the origin of it.
- When available purchase those favorites and take them home with you so you can enjoy them again
- See if they have a cook book, if you’re into cooking as well.
Remember to just have fun eating your way through the destination
« Our Culinary City Picks